Monday, July 9, 2012

The mystery project

The mystery project is completed ... and delivered. It has a little story behind it, so in the short form, here it is.  Not long ago my sister called me with a suggestion.  At her last visit to our mom's house she had found a vintage dress which had belonged to our great-grandmother.  She thought it would be great if I would make a Cindy Apron for our niece who is getting married.   I usually go with bright fabrics, so when I saw the brown, dark colors in this dress I sure had to think about how to make this work!
The great-grandmother dress!

I took my basic Cindy Apron pattern, made a few changes in design, and... here it is!
Cindy Apron #3.  I made box pleats for this one rather than a ruffle.  
The pockets are also box pleated, and embellished with an old embroidered linen.  

Straight line stitching of red thread helps to tie in the red trip at other places.  This and the use of off-white linen type fabric was also my way of "sneaking" in a bit of zakka style!

This piece was cut from the buttonhole section of the dress.  I backed this piece with red fabric, and used it for the neck strap.  I also added an elastic loop and button to make it adjustable.  
Thanks to this tutorial for the inspiration for the apron bib and boxed pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment