Thursday, January 20, 2011

Banana Oat Cookies

A few years ago my Mom gave me a recipe for cookies that use no sugar, oil, or eggs!  They are simple to make, and very good, and they surely must be good for you! I made a batch last night.  They have just enough of their own natural sweetness to satisfy my want for a little dessert.

1/2 c date pieces or raisins -- soak in water for 1 hour and drain.
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cup oats; or 1 c. oats and 1/2 c. oat bran
1/3 cup chopped walnuts or almonds (I use almonds ... and add a bit more)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
fruit spread

Mix everything together in a bowl, except for the fruit spread. I add a little bit of flour to make it hold together better (maybe about 2 T).  I'm sure Mom uses whole wheat, but I use unbleached white.  Form into balls (17-18) and make a thumb print on top.  Fill with some fruit spread.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  I make mine on a baking stone and they come off very nicely.  If using another kind of baking sheet you may want to use parchment paper or add a "touch" of butter on the pan.

I keep bananas in my freezer.  Yep!  When bananas start to go brown, throw them in the freezer (peeling and all).  They are great to pull out later to use for banana bread, cookies, or whatever.  If you let them thaw a few minutes the peeling will come off quite easily.  It's really quite handy!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment