Thursday, June 28, 2012

Here we go ... the 2nd half of Zakka!

It kind of amazes me that I've been sewing Zakka for 3 months!  ...with a new project every week!  Now on to the second half.  This week's project is a hot pad.  Everything was going along fine until I realized I had not read the instructions!  After all, isn't "skimming" the directions good enough??  I can't believe me, a teacher, is even considering that question!  So... on this one, I'll just let you in on a little secret.  If you cut your basic circle before quilting the piece, it's very likely your circle will look more like a lopsided circle when finished. :)  Here's my first go-around.  I've already got material cut out in Christmas fabrics to try again -- this time following the instructions!

I used some of my favorite Amy Butler fabrics for the front -- along with one strip of white linen.

This Amy Butler dot fabric is one of my all-time favorites.


The binding is cut on the bias out of the white linen.

Sew binding together as shown in this picture and the next to make a long enough strip.


Fold the strip in half lengthwise and press.  Then pin all around the circle.  My piece was just about a bit too short so tucked the ends in together -- just barely, but it fit.  Sew around the edge with machine, then turn the binding to the back and hand stitch in place.  It's really quite easy.

Pockets for grabbing that hot dish.

The lopsided circle potholder! :)  
The back.
I will be posting my hot pad here.

No comments:

Post a Comment