Sunday, August 19, 2012

Little Pocket Pillowcase

Zakka project #19 is such a cute little pillowcase.  I'm sure a young child would be delighted to sleep with a fuzzy bear right by their side!  Here is my version of the project -- step by step.
No eyes on mine -- just a colorful tummy!

The most time consuming part of this project was the diamond pieced pocket.  I took the advice of another blogger/zakka participant and cut my diamonds the quick way!  I sewed 4 strips of fabric lengthwise, ...

...cut each strip on a 45 degree angle, ...

... and sewed the strips together using a 1/4 inch seam.  At this step you need to fold down the seam allowance first to make sure your points will match.  I was a bit off on some of mine. When I did not measure and match, though, I was WAY off.

The piece on the left was my first attempt at piecing this by sewing each individual diamond.  I was not liking how it was turning out.  Then I tried the strip method and was so very pleased.  It is so much quicker!

Here's my little cutie bear all tucked in his pillow!  

Rather than stuffing the ears and hands as the book suggested, I used a double layer of felt and sewed it into the bear sandwiched between the two right sides.  After turning right side out and stuffing, little bear looks quite plump. This little guy is made with some left over faux fur I had used for another project.  

As always, I am posting the Little Pocket Pillowcase at Lindsey's LRStitched.  I'm already beginning to wonder what project I'll work on when this sew-along is finished.  I may set a goal to make each of the projects I've pinned on Pinterest!  ...or maybe I'll piece a quilt to get in the frame for winter stitching ... or maybe...both!


No comments:

Post a Comment