Thursday, August 25, 2011

Reading Motivation

School is off to a great start.  One of our school-wide goals this year is to motivate reluctant readers to enjoy reading.  In one of my reading groups I asked the students to complete a reading inventory.  My heart sank when I saw one boy's response to the question, "How many books do you have in your home?"  His response was, "none!"  None?  Is that even possible?  I look around my house and there are books in every room.  Lots of books ... many kinds of books ... children's books ... picture books ... biographies ... Bibles ... cookbooks ... dictionaries ... novels ... song books ... and on and on.  I love to read-- especially a great historical novel -- but really do enjoy reading all kinds of books.  I most recently finished a book titled, The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Seierstad.  It was a fascinating description of an Afghan family as observed by a western journalist.  In reading this book I felt as if I had traveled to an unknown place, and learned of ways and traditions that are so different to my own way of thinking.  When this same student told me he really didn't like to read, my challenge was set before me -- do whatever I can to draw him into books. I see an exciting year ahead.  Let's see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment