Monday, December 19, 2011

Let the baking begin!

The smells of cookies have begun to waft through the house.  So far I've made Russian Tea Cakes, Bizcochitos (Anise cookies), and Chocolate Krinkles.  In between the baking, I've been finally getting to some Christmas sewing projects, wrapping, and doing laundry.  What a great way to begin the Christmas holiday vacation.  The next cookie on my list is Peppernuts.  My mom and siblings reading this will most likely remember the peppernuts we received every Christmas in packages from both of our Grandmas.  Grandma K always made the cinnamon spiced kind, cut into small nuggets.  They were hard and crunchy, and oh, so yummy!  Grandma S made a lighter colored peppernut with more of a pepper spice.  These were a bit larger, and not quite as crunchy.  These were good, too, but my favorite, and the ones I like to make, are the Grandma K peppernuts.  What is your favorite Christmas cookie to make -- or eat!?
Bizochoitos
Chocolate Krinkles

7 comments:

  1. My grandma's peppernut recipe is a lot like Grandma Kliewer's. Must be an Oklahoma/Kansas German-origin recipe! For nostalgia sake, this year I made Cindy's. Not your brother's favorite = more for me! So good, they're almost gone. :) I'd like to bake more but am running out of time and gumption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house looks so pretty! I just realized Mom's "name" for commenting is "Mommadear". Can you tell that she made that name to just comment on my blog? Now she's stuck with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommadear,
    Peppernuts are so small -- so we can eat more, right!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara,
    Thanks! It's nice that pictures can capture a moment when all is tidy! :) I think Mommadear is a great Blog name for your mom, as she is such a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cookies look delicious and your tree looks great. There are so many options for trees, it doesn't have to be done the hard way to be special.

    Hope you have a wonderful CHRISTmas Cary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite Christmas cookie would be peppernuts!

    ReplyDelete