Monday, July 25, 2011

Berries 'n Cream Pie

One of the most delicious pies I've made is Berries 'n Cream, a recipe from my mother-in-law.   I've made this with cherries, blueberries, and peaches, and each time it is equally delicious.  Here's the recipe in "not a lot of detail" format.
Set oven to 400 degrees.
Set aside 4 cups fresh berries in prepared crust.
Mix and pour over berries:
2/3 c. sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup cream
Bake until crust is golden (35-45 minutes).

Today I had blackberries on hand, but didn't have 4 cups, so made a very similar pie.  This one is from my well-used Mennonite Community Cookbook.
It is called Sour Cream Berry or Cherry Tart
2 1/2 cups elderberries or blackberries
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup sour cream
1 pie crust
Wash berries or seeded cherries and place in an unbaked crust.

Combine sugar and flour.
Add sour cream and blend thoroughly.
Pour mixture over fruit.

Bake at 425 for 15 min., reduce heat (I reduced it to 350) and continue to bake for 30 minutes (or longer until it looks done).
Mmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment